Got a brilliant idea to start in 2020 … looking for funding to get it started?
Look no further…
We have curated a list of well established and most active early-stage investors in Los Angeles you should know, but we recommend you do your research. There thousands of venture capitalists across the country, all you need is a solid list of 20 to 30 to start, those who can give you the attention and capital investment that you’re looking for – and the best come recommended.
Take an inventory of your immediate network of industry people, and compile a list of investors they suggest that will align with your vision and goals.
Tap into investors across your network, reach out to them in a casual environment, pitch your ideas, ask for feedback, and always incorporate their advice into your next pitch.
Remember, select firms that meet your needs and focuses on your particular industry or product. Understanding each firm will help make your pitch meeting more fruitful.
In no particular order, here is a list of 21 most active early-stage LA investors who are ready to invest in you.
- 3Rodeo is an entrepreneur-run seed fund. We focus on finding driven founders that are helping change and disrupt the world, and we work alongside them as veterans who understand the fundamentals and culture of entrepreneurship. Invested in – Fair, Mira, Lighter, AllVoices, Fund3, Lucidity, LearnLux
- Amplify is a venture capital fund in Venice, CA, dedicated to making early investments in LA’s strongest entrepreneurs. Invested in – FloQuast, Clutter, Bitium, The Bouqs, Map Sense, AlphaDraft
- Anthem Venture Partners invest primarily in early-stage Series A and B technology companies. The typical deal size is an initial investment between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000 with a reserve for follow-on investments. Partners are active investors who almost always lead or co-lead and take a board seat. Invested in – Bird, FabFitFun, Rollick, SurfAir, TrueCar, Glossi, Demand Media, NewHound
- Anthos Capital was founded in 2007 by Goldman Sachs professionals and manages $400 million across multiple funds. The firm supports dynamic entrepreneurs building disruptive companies in a broad range of industries, including consumer services and products, technology, healthcare, business services, education, and financial services. Invested in – U-Nest, ApplyBoard, PriorAuthNow, Attunely, Emailage, hone, goPuff, FaceIT, Munchery
- Archer Venture Capital is an investment firm and start-up advisory platform for entrepreneurs. They work closely with entrepreneurs to build and grow companies into disruptive and category-leading businesses. Archer VC target investments in the seed, Series A and select later growth stages of the business. Invested in – TrueX, SquareTrade, Shopkick, Alacra, ConsumerDirect, TrueCar
- Avalon’s long-standing and successful focus has been on seed and early-stage companies, including many it formed in the life science and information technology sectors. Invested in – Redbooth, BookBub, Chart.io, Good, Kaltura, Sidecar, SkyCatch, Zynga
- Backstage invests in startup founders who identify as a Woman, Person of Color, and/or LGBTQ. We believe these founders are underestimated and have the most potential for unlocking innovation and creating valuable businesses. Invested in – CareAcademy, NailSnaps, Seeds, Wedspire, GoGrab, TextEngine
- Established in 2006, with over $180 million under management, BDMI makes early-stage investments into innovative companies in the digital media landscape. Invested in – Fatherly, CrowdTwist, Art19, Jukin Media, Food52, Omaze, SkimLinks, Pathmatics, Wondery, Traity
- BITKRAFT is an early-stage investor and company builder focussed entirely on the esports sector. BITKRAFT invest, support, and scale esports startups along with the industry’s most influential companies. Invested in – DojoMadness, RunTime, TierOne, FanAI, MetaGames, Xsplit, QuarterBack
- Bryant Stibel Venture is focused on early-stage businesses. Typically, these businesses have a proven product, established a business model, and a clear path to scalable revenues and profitability growth. Invested in – Datanyze, House Canary, Juicero, Reserve.com, ringDNA, Scopely
- Bullpen Capital is an early-stage, post-seed venture fund investing in technology companies that have been funded by super-angels and institutional seed funds. Invested in – About.me, Wag.com, Ranker, Chartio, Marketo, Cleanify, CoverHound, CitusData, Desk.com, Hairdoo, Gameflip, FanDuel, Ipsy
- CAA (Creative Artists Agency) Ventures is an early-stage venture capital fund investing in entertainment and sports startups. CAA Ventures offers an unparalleled value proposition to its portfolio companies, allowing them to “plug into” the CAA ecosystem and accelerate their businesses through our access to pop culture, including motion pictures, television, music, sports, retail, marketing, live events, licensing, fashion, lifestyle experts, event venues, digital media, games, philanthropy, and more. Invested in – 500px, Airtime, Beautylish, BeyondGames, Bloom Tech, Brandable, Mobcrush, Houseparty, Hush
- Calibrate Ventures back startups that have demonstrated early signs of commercial success, and we support them through the inflection point of their business. Invested in – Chegg, Dollar Shave Club, Filld, Hatch Baby, FullContact, Misty Robotics, Osmo, Ring
- California Tech Ventures invest smaller amounts required by early-stage companies, as well as larger investments for later-stage expansion. Initial investments typically range from $250,000 to $2 million, with up to $5 million over the life of the investment. CTV participate in seed/start-up companies, first and second-round investments, and later-stage investments. Invested in – ClearFlow, Health Hero, FanXchange, Education.com, Gamevice, GoingOn, MariaDB
- Fika Ventures is a seed fund that focuses on enterprise and B2B software, FinTech, marketplaces, and digital health. Invested in – Atticus, ChatDesk, Berbix, Chowbus, OpenPath, Noyo, PolicyGenius
- MaC Venture Capital is an early-stage venture capital firm focused on finding ideas, technology, and products that can become infectious. Invested in – GoodMoney, Edge Delta, Good Fair, Grid Raster, Fair.com, Mayvenn
- Upfront Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm making national investments in technology-forward companies and founders. Past investments include Maker Studios (acquired by Disney), TrueCar, Ring, Overture and Envestnet. Invested in – GOAT, Parachute Home, mitú, thredUP, Bird, Inboard Technologies, Drone Base, MakeSpace, Seriously
- Bonfire Ventures is a financial services company that invests with and supports talented founders who are building software solutions that redefine how business gets done. Invested in – NestEgg, OpenPath, ChowNow, Scopely, MomentFeed
- Greycroft is a leading venture capital firm focused on investments in the Internet and mobile markets. Greycroft leverages an extensive network of media and technology industry connections to help entrepreneurs gain visibility, build strategic relationships, bring their products to market, and build successful businesses. Greycroft manages in excess of $1 billion and has made over 200 investments since inception in leading companies. Invested in– Acorns, App Annie, Bird, Botkeeper, Bright Health, Boxed, Braintree, Buddy Media, Everything But The House, Extreme Reach, Huffington Post, Icertis, JW Player, Maker Studios, Plated, Scopely, Shipt, TheRealReal, Thrive Market, Trunk Club, Venmo
- Morpheus is a venture capital firm that invests in the disruption of large markets across the technology landscape from consumer to enterprise technologies including data analytics, machine learning, robotics, transportation, and SaaS. The firm is headquartered in Los Angeles and backs great entrepreneurs worldwide. Invested in – Bridg, SafetyCulture, Sidecar Health, Wire, House Canary, Bestow, Vicarious
- Moore Venture Partners is a traditional venture capital fund investing in early, growth, and expansion-stage technology and life science companies. Invested in – Events.com, CloudBeds, TakeLessons, Avidity BioSciences, WhiteFox Defense Technologies
One last tip, every VC looks for these four things: (1) a great team in (2) a big market with (3) a strong business model and (4) a competitive moat.
LAStartups.com is a digital lifestyle publication that covers the culture of startups and technology companies in Los Angeles. It is the go-to site for people who want to keep up with what matters in Los Angeles’ tech and startups from those who know the city best.