A lot of trendy restaurants have tried their hand at making diners become hip and chic enough for foodies to flock to, but not many succeed in their endeavor. However, Downtown LA’s Birdies isn’t one of them, though. With its winning combination of donuts, coffee, and fried chicken available 24 hours a day on the weekends, it has definitely been redefining the diner format for many Los Angelenos.
The menu may seem simple, but it’s in how celebrity chef Jayson Harley whips up his chicken that will blow you away. Their selection of artisanal donuts is also noteworthy, especially since they don’t shy away from risks. They even offered a 24-karat gold donut that costs a mere $100 in 2016, so they shouldn’t be taken lightly when it comes to donut flavors. If you easily get option paralysis, though, you might want to know that they offer donut sampling as well, so you can try them out first before diving in.
Even the interiors will remind you of a chic diner with its quaint, social media worthy setup. It’s a hole-in-the-wall type of place though, so don’t expect lots of seating.
What to order:
- Birdies Breakfast Sandwich – Over Easy or Scrambled Egg with fried chicken tender or Applewood smoked bacon and Tillamook Cheddar with Birdies special sauce
- Birdies Spicy – Fried Chicken Breast Sandwich: Cole Slaw, Ghost Pepper Mayo, Tillamook Pepperjack & cured pickles
- Birdies Original – Fried Chicken Breast Sandwich Cole Slaw, Buttermilk Ranch Mayo, Tillamook Cheddar & cured pickles
- Horchata Twist with Dulce De Leche
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Blueberry Lemon
- Triple Dark Chocolate (ma’ fav)
Location: 314 W Olympic Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90015 Phone (213) 536-5720