With flavors so striking and rich, restaurants featuring Indian cuisine hardly ever need any gimmicks to stand out and attract diners. However, there’s also a significant lack of young and hip Indian restaurants in LA that when Badmaash opened in 2013, they became an excellent alternative to buffets and traditional eateries in the city.
Right from the moment you step inside, its industrial theme peppered with Bollywood movie posters while blaring some old-school hip-hop, you’ll know that it will be an all-new experience with Indian food. While Badmaash is still a pretty traditional Indian eatery (it’s basically a family-run joint featuring fantastic flavors from the East), the fact that it gives a modern twist to Indian dishes really makes it stand out and fit right into the hip dining culture of LA. Being a gastropub, it definitely strives to offer something new and you’ll really be surprised at how willing it is to take risks on its menu. They don’t shy away from pork and beef, but if you’re looking for something halal, this might not be the right spot for you.
What to order:
- Spiced Lamb Burger – free-range & hormone-free lamb legs ground & spiced in house – with onion, lettuce, tomato, cilantro & paprika spiced mayo, all on Breadbar brioche
- Chicken Tikka Poutine – Canadian eh!? masala fries topped with cheese curds, doused in piping hot beef gravy, all topped with tandoori chicken tikka and cilantro
- Spiced Mango Pork Belly – slow cooked in its own juices with aromatics & spices, seared to finish with spiced mango sauce
- Dad’s Famous Coconut Curry Mussels – madras styles – coconut milk with paprika, turmeric, plum tomato, onion & cilantro
- Lamb Chops “Chaampey”– lightly massaged with cardamom & clove masala-served with fenugreek cream sauce
- Address: 108 W 2nd St Ste 104 Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Phone (213) 221-7466
Check out this other gastropub joint.