There may be tons of taquerias in LA, but if there is one place that you shouldn’t miss, it has to be Guisados. This family-run joint is basically a neighborhood staple in Boyle Heights. The family who runs the place also owns the building and the tortilleria next door is owned by a family member. This is why it shouldn’t be surprising that the diner’s vision is to offer the very same food as what Mama made at home.
From a single, small operation in 2010, Guisados has grown to a 5-location operation over the years with its food still being made in Boyle Heights and delivered fresh to the other stores daily. Don’t expect anything fancy from this eatery, though. Like many well-loved taquerias all over the state, it’s a collection of no-frills takeout joints. You can expect very affordable bites that offer simple recipes that allow the fillings to shine and the flavor to really fill you up, however. There are also a number of vegetarian options, so if you or someone you know can’t eat meat for moral reasons, Guisados can still be a great place to head to.
Recently visited their DTLA location: 541 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Very clean and friendly spot. Pay parking is just next door for $8.
What to order:
- Mole Poblano – Shredded chicken breast in a nutty Poblano style Mole. Served with sour cream, queso fresco, red onion and dried chile.
- Chuleta en Chile Verde – Diced pork chop in a chile verde. Served atop black beans with chile arbol, green serrano chile and sour cream.
- Hongos con Cilantro – Mushrooms cooked with cilantro and onions. Served with green serrano chile and queso fresco.
- Camarones – Fajita-style shrimp, onions and bell peppers served with a mild chipotle sour cream.
- Cochinita Pibil – Shredded pork cooked in a sweet, red achiote spice atop black beans. Served with Yucatan compliments, Pickled red onions and habanero chile. Taco defaults at a 3 on scale of 1-10. Proceed with caution
Location: 2100 E. Cesar Chavez Blvd., Boyle Heights, 90033 MAP 323-264-7201
Also, check out this great Spanish joint.